Close Menu
The Oasis Report | Latest Saudi Arabia News & Updates
  • Home
  • Analysis
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Finance
  • Investor
  • Opinion
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Startups
What's Hot

Human resources: Workers’ working hours will be 6 hours based on merit system during Ramadan – Saudi News

February 19, 2026

Soybean prices rose to near the highest level in three months on the demand outlook. wheat, corn hard

February 19, 2026

Announcement of Ramadan visiting hours for Al Rawdah Al Sharifa in Madinah

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Human resources: Workers’ working hours will be 6 hours based on merit system during Ramadan – Saudi News
  • Soybean prices rose to near the highest level in three months on the demand outlook. wheat, corn hard
  • Announcement of Ramadan visiting hours for Al Rawdah Al Sharifa in Madinah
  • Lagarde: “We will not leave the European Union at this time” – Saudi News
  • ‘SAMA’: Financial institutions are prohibited from exceeding the cap on fees for personal business and services – Saudi News
  • Qatar saw 6% increase in flights in January
  • Dollar avoids lows, Fed divided over interest rate outlook
  • Study: Oats are a natural weapon that protects against harmful cholesterol by 10% – Saudi News
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Oasis Report | Latest Saudi Arabia News & UpdatesThe Oasis Report | Latest Saudi Arabia News & Updates
Thursday, February 19
  • Home
  • Analysis
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Finance
  • Investor
  • Opinion
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Startups
The Oasis Report | Latest Saudi Arabia News & Updates
Home » Bill Gates withdraws from India AI Summit. Anger grows over organizational failures

Bill Gates withdraws from India AI Summit. Anger grows over organizational failures

adminBy adminFebruary 19, 2026 Business No Comments4 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


NEW DELHI – Bill Gates withdrew from India’s AI Impact Summit hours before his scheduled keynote address on Thursday, dealing another blow to a flagship event already marred by complaints of organizational missteps, robot brawls and traffic disruptions.

Gates’ absence, followed by another high-profile cancellation by Nvidia’s Jensen Huang, further complicated the opening of the summit billed as the Global South’s first major artificial intelligence forum as India seeks to establish itself as a leading voice in global AI governance.

The Gates Foundation said the billionaire would not give a speech “to maintain focus on the AI ​​Summit’s key priorities.” Just a few days ago, the foundation denied rumors that he would not be attending, insisting that he was scheduled to attend.

Gates’ revocation comes after the U.S. Department of Justice last month released emails containing communications between late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and Gates Foundation staff.

Gates said the relationship was limited to philanthropy-related discussions and that it was a mistake to meet with Epstein.

In his keynote address, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, along with French President Emmanuel Macron, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, and Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei, spoke at a gathering on Thursday, calling for keeping children safe on AI platforms.

“We have to be more careful about the safety of our children. Just as school curricula are hand-picked, so too should the field of AI be guided by children and families,” PM Modi said after taking to the stage with top AI executives and posing for photos with arms raised in a show of strength.

In the photo shoot, Altman and Amodei, the heads of rival AI companies OpenAI and Anthropic, stood side by side on stage, but while other executives held hands, they did not, creating an awkward moment.

However, the event generated some investment commitments, with India’s Reliance Industries pledging nearly $110 billion over the next seven years to build AI-related infrastructure.

More than $200 billion has been pledged to invest in AI data center projects in India, including Reliance, conglomerate Adani Group, tech giant Microsoft and data center company Yotta.

But analysts warn that the rapid build-out of AI infrastructure risks straining India’s power grid and water supply.

Despite the investment success, India’s first major AI summit was marred by systemic missteps, leaving attendees shocked and angry at the lack of planning from the Indian government.

chaos and traffic jams

The summit’s exhibition hall was abruptly shut down on Thursday, further angering participating companies who had set up booths and pavilions. After three days of large crowds, the venue was mostly deserted.

An Indian university, Galgotias, was asked to leave the venue after a staff member caused a public uproar by presenting a commercially available Chinese robot dog as his own.

Police repeatedly blocked roads to prioritize the movement of VIPs to the summit, causing chaos in the city of 20 million people. The Indian government apologized for the inconvenience caused to participants in the first few days.

But on Wednesday, footage on social media showed scores of summit participants walking for miles through central Delhi as roads were blocked, taxis unavailable and shuttle services unarranged.

Opposition parties attacked the government and the prime minister for sloppy management of the world summit.

“How can we expect engineers and AI people to walk such distances…and we are frustrated that entrepreneurs are leaving India,” said Pawan Khera, a spokesperson for the Congress party.

“Sorry, but the entire summit was meant for researchers, founders, and builders who are grinding in the field every day. Instead, we are treated like we don’t matter and are blocked for hours for ministers and officials to get through,” Microsoft researcher Jay Gala said on social media website X.

(Reporting by Munsif Vengattil, Aditya Soni and Aditya Kalra in New Delhi; Additional reporting by Sakshi Dayal and Abhirami G; Editing by Kim Coghill, Muralikumar Anantharaman, Raju Gopalakrishnan and Christian Schmollinger)



Source link

admin
  • Website

Keep Reading

Soybean prices rose to near the highest level in three months on the demand outlook. wheat, corn hard

Dollar avoids lows, Fed divided over interest rate outlook

Eurozone government bond yields rise slightly, awaiting US statistics

IFS says UK should scrap financial targets for new traffic light system

Golden Pass increases natural gas flow to facility, moves closer to first LNG production

Libya attracts Western traders, hurting Russian fuel distribution

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Qatar saw 6% increase in flights in January

February 19, 2026

IHG signs deal with Hotel Indigo Cairo, Egypt’s new administrative capital

February 19, 2026

FNB’s $1.1 billion initiative opens new horizons for South African SMEs

February 19, 2026

Egypt to build Terminal 4 at Cairo Airport

February 19, 2026
Latest Posts

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

The Oasis Report is an independent digital news platform dedicated to delivering timely, accurate, and insightful coverage of Saudi Arabia. Our mission is to keep readers informed about the Kingdom’s rapidly evolving political, economic, social, and cultural landscape.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
© 2025 theoasisreport. Designed by TeraSolutions.io

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.