Real Madrid have submitted evidence of racist abuse suffered by Vinicius Junior to European Football Association (UEFA) as part of an ongoing investigation into what transpired during the Champions League knockout clash against Benfica in Lisbon.
Vinicius informed referee François Letexier that he had been subjected to a racist abuse by a Benfica player during the Champions League final play-off match in Lisbon on Tuesday.
Real Madrid said the player was Benfica’s Argentina winger Gianluca Pristiani, but denied any wrongdoing.
UEFA announced that it had opened a disciplinary investigation into the incident during the match, and Real Madrid provided an update.
“Real Madrid would like to announce that it has provided all available evidence regarding this incident to UEFA,” said a statement by the Spanish club broadcast on social networking site X.
It added: “The club actively co-operated with the investigation launched by UEFA following the unacceptable racist incident that occurred at that match.”
“Real Madrid is grateful for the great support and agreement that our player Vinicius has received from all sectors of world football,” he stressed.
“Real Madrid continues to work with all institutions to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and society,” the statement continued.

