The Japanese national team for the 2026 Milan-Cortina Olympics is facing an unprecedented wave of cyberattacks, with approximately 62,000 offensive posts targeting athletes and team members recorded. Given this reality, Japan has utilized artificial intelligence and specialized teams to protect athletes and ensure their psychological safety and dignity.
The Japanese delegation participating in the 2026 Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics has confirmed that approximately 62,000 offensive posts targeting athletes and team members have been recorded online since January 18 last year.
The Japanese Olympic Committee said the request for content removal included 1,055 publications, of which 198 have been removed so far, and said the measure was aimed at protecting athletes from electronic attacks that negatively impact their concentration and energy.
This escalation occurred when the delegation witnessed a severe assault on an athlete, who was forced to withdraw from the competition due to injury, before the scheduled start of the competition.
At a press conference held in Milan, Japanese team leader Hideto Ito emphasized that “words that hurt the players affect their dignity and drain their energy,” calling for an immediate end to such behavior.
The Japanese Committee, through its dedicated work team of 22 members, including experts and legal experts, works 24 hours a day in Italy and Japan, working diligently to ensure a safe environment for athletes. The team works with major technology companies such as Meta and Line Yahoo to use artificial intelligence technology to monitor offensive content and demand prompt removal.
The Japanese Mission confirms that these efforts are part of a comprehensive strategy to protect athletes from electronic attacks and maintain psychological safety during international competitions, in a way that reflects respect for the rights and dignity of athletes in the global arena.

